See that there? That's the new PSP. Or "NGP" as Sony have dubbed it.....apparently it's twatty corporate speak for "next gen portable"......bah.
Shown off at a big swanky event in Tokyo, Sony unleashed their beast to the world after months and months of speculation from the gaming community and developers.
According to Sony, the handheld as as powerful as a Playstation 3, it has a touch sensitive screen, Wi-Fi and 3G wireless connectivity, dual analogue sticks, a rear touch pad (what that's going to be used for I haven't got as clue), Sixaxis tilt controls and front and back facing cameras......phew. It also comes with a new storage device....no more UMD discs. It's some kind of flash memory card that I expect you'll download your games onto. What does this mean for the PSP" at retail? Fuck knows.....
Expect all the usual suspects games-wise on the console, details coming out of the show are saying that Killzone, Uncharted, Wipeout, Metal gear solid and Hot shots golf will all be released on the system.
For all you tech heads out there, here's a run down of the official stats, straight from Sony's flabby mouth:
- CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
- GPU: SGX543MP4+
- External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
- Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
- Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
- Location: Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support
- Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
- Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR （A2DP/AVRCP/HSP）
Ooooh....you like that baby? Yeah, you know you do....you love it.....I......erm.......well....it all looks a bit dodgy doesn't it. No doubt some Japanese games developer is literally creaming themselves at the moment, making plans for the next touch-sensitive installment of "Maid rape tit gropper 2XX9".
And here is the first official video from Sony.
Absolute garbage. It looks like the opening for a shit drug induced kids version of "Hells kitchen".
Anyhoo. That's your PSP2. Ahem......ok Sony.....NG-bloody-P!
At the moment i'm on the fence...maybe even unconvinced. Sure, gamers cried out for a touch screen, gamers cried out for dual analogue sticks, but us gamers are a fickle bunch that can turn on a sixpence. The way I see it, Sony have answered the 3DS announcement by chucking pure processing grunt at the NGP, using just pure power rather than any kind of innovation. Yes, it'll be as powerful as a PS3, but do we really need that on a handheld??
So what are your thoughts? Have Sony listened and given you what you want? Has the NGP convinced you to get a 3DS instead?
I'll go out on a limb and say it's going to be a case of history repeating....the PSP vs DS all over again. But at the moment, out of the two i'll be getting the 3DS.